Artwork: 40k Officio Medicae Symbol

Updated  09/08/12 - Added more "grimdark" variant

After working on all the medical fluff nonsense that I've been doing for some time, I realised that I hadn't actually created a symbol for the medical personnel of the 41st millennium. Whilst working on a nicer looking verison of Captain Nero's Post-Trauma report with Colonel Scipio, I was prompted into action.

It's something I've tinkered with in the past when considering a mini-medical diorama/objective marker - exactly what would Imperial medics and medical vehicles have to denote them? I was wary of using the red cross, whilst instantly recognisable as being medical, has too many real world connotations for it to be dropped in seamlessly. Sure, you could probably come up with fluffy reasons and meanings for it, but for me it seemed more trouble than it's worth.



In steps that other universal medical symbol: the Caduceus, or Rod of Asclepius. Technically not the same thing, they have however become interchangeable. Painted on the side of ambulances in certain countries, and dotted about everywhere medical, it seemed like a natural choice. It also helped that the Space Marine Apothecary symbol already mirrored it (obviously meant to represent the DNA double-helix however).

A rather nifty mock up by Scipio prompted me to get the digital pens out (okay, hand and mouse) and sketch something out. I prefer working free hand as I find I get more consistent results. Without futher ado, here's the results (with my patent pending paper texturisation...):

Modified based on feedback of Mordian7th and Dai. Left or right? Answers on a postcard


As ever feedback is always welcome. Should there be a skull on a medical symbol? If not what should fill that space? Should the skull be bigger, do all the elements work together? Anything at all, let me know.

Apologies for the slightly lifeless text, just managed to lose the original post and had to rewrite it all...

That's all for now folks, there's a Mawdryn fluff post on the way for tomorrow.

Update 09/08/12: Here's a more "grimdark" version, metallic texture courtesy of Night Fate Stock


Comments

  1. I like it! The red and white on the coiled snakes really works well - I dig the skull (of course there should be a skull, it's 40k!), though it could be bigger to fill the space - not touching the sides of the circle, but close to it.

    I really dug your previous post about RT era gaming, though it didn't seem to allow for comments. I really like how 6th ed. seems to hearken back to a number of ideas found in 1st and 2nd ed., and I really want to sit down and play a game using the old RT rules again! Your post also showcased a number of RT-era themed blogs I hadn't seen before, thanks!

    Keep up the great work, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it very much. Think that the black circle surrounding the skull could be smaller in diameter, therefore allowing the aquila in turn to downsize a little too. Just seems too top heavy as is. otherwise, works rather nicely as a medical unit indentifier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O and what Mordian 7th said about yer last post - my thoughts almost entirely. Those other blogs were likewise engaging to read through, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for the comments!

    @Mordian7th Glad you liked the post, really don't know what's been going on with comments, they all disappeared entirely at one point. Absolutely spot on comment about 6th, I really meant to make more of the shift towards earlier elements in the post. If you're ever in Mansfield again I'm sure Colonel Scipio would be up for a game of RT.

    That's definitely my thought on the skull, and it should fit the space more, will alter it immediately...

    @Dai Thanks very much, was worried it was a bit *too* much of a rambling post. Will definitely make that element smaller on the symbol, I kept resizing it until I really wasn't sure what was right lol. Will definitely implement that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lookin' good as ever, my good sir. Realised where my subconscious inspiration came from... They use the Asclepius symbol on the medic packs on the Cadian command squad. As ever, great graphic work and visionary fluff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, it already fits then. I thought I'd seen it somewhere in some form.

      Delete
  6. I like it, it puts the Imperial stamp on an ancient and recognized sort of symbol, perfect for 40K. But remember in the forty first millennium lasers are cheaper than morphia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is very true Chris, the new batch of fluff documents defintiely reflect that more (I hope)

      Delete
  7. That is very cool indeed. I may have to stea.. I mean borrow that for when I try my hand at an Only War campaign in a year or so. Just need to wait for it to be released, and then have the money to buy it. I think that the quick start rules might not quite be enough. http://shortymonster.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/eleventh-hour-an-only-war-play-test/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, feel free to put it to some use, have you seen my old triage stuff and whatnot, they seem to be popular with RPGers lol

      Delete

Post a Comment